The main types of passionfruit that you can grow in Australia include the following:-
- Mysty Gems
- Nelly Kellie
Panama Red Variety
One of the commonest passionfruit varieties is the Panama Red. This is a hybrid passionfruit variety that is also quite vigorous. It has a large attractive red skin and produces large fruits. The Panama Red variety will crop heavily from Autumn to Spring.
Plant Characteristics for the Panama Red Passionfruit Variety
- Preferred Climate: Tropical and Subtropical.
- Water Requirements: Moderate watering
- Preferred Soil Type: Soil with good drainage.
- Sun or Shade: Needs full sun, 80% to 100%.
- Soil PH: Neutral PH requirement of 6.6 to 7.3pH
- Pollination required: Needs two compatible plants
- Time to fruit, flower or harvest: Requires 2 to 3 years.
- Maximum plant height: 2 to 5 metres
Panama Gold Passionfruit Variety
The Panama Gold passionfruit variety will produce a lush green foliage that can cover up to square metres in one year. The Panama Gold passionfruit varieties are generally super large, are golden in colour and have a soft skinned juicy fruit with an aromatic pulp. The Panama Gold passionfruit varieties are generally sweeter than other the black passionfruit varieties. They will produce a hundred fruit in a single season. The Panama Gold passionfruit variety should be planted in a sunny and well-drained area. They will begin flowering in spring and you can begin harvesting the fruit right from summer until autumn.
The Panama Gold passionfruit variety does well in warmer and frost-free growing areas. The Panama Gold fruits can be round to oval . At maturity, they are yellow in colour and have a soft and firm juicy interior that contains numerous seeds. The Panama Gold passionfruit can be eaten or juiced. It can also be mixed with other fruit juices so as to enhance the aroma.